Re: About the Hohner Comet

>From: Fernando Javier Toral <ftoral@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>Subject: About the Hohner Comet
>Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 16:36:03 -0300

>A friend of mine asked me about these "double" harps, that seem to have
>two harmonicas integrated in one body. Do any of you have any experience
>on using these?
>
>Fernando Toral
>Argentina

Hello Fernando.

I've had a C Comet for years, but to be honest I haven't found much use for
it.  They are double-reeded, but instead of the two reeds in each hole being
just slightly tuned apart they are tuned an octave apart.  You can do such
things as play just one row of holes so as to cut out the octave sound, and
bending is quite easy if you do that, but I don't really see much point in
all that.  A major hassle I've found is that if you don't keep the reed pair
tuned exactly an octave apart you get ugly-sounding "beats," and I've found
an irritating tendency for reeds to go very slightly out a bit too
frequently, resulting in this undesirable effect.  They are great for the
very occasional novelty turn, but somehow I can't see 'em ever entering the
mainstream!   Only an opinion!

All the best

Steve Shaw.

Want more than the blues?  Try Irish!