Re: Interesting article on the blues

>"The shift has brought negative repercussions as well. Hadju notes
>that because so many of today's blues fans come from a rock
>background, blues guitarists are celebrated at the expense of
>vocalists, harmonica players and keyboardists. And blues has been
>watered down".

   A lot of the blues (of today) is nothing more than rock musicians
PLAYING (AT) blues. To do the blues, you have to BE blues. Just
dressing up in a ratty costume and trying to look poor (while sipping
a Latte) doesn't make you " The blues". In fact, I hate to see guys
wearing STUPID selections of clothing in an effort to look "Bluesy".
True blues men just wore the clothing that was prevalent for the
times (while possibly a little rumpled).

   Another of my pet peeves is guys playing blues wearing a "Beret".
IF you're gonna play blues and IF you're gonna wear a Beret...you
BETTER be good. I think after hearing Norton Buffalo play, he is the
ONLY guy (lately) quallified to wear a Beret. Besides?? Isn't a beret
French?

   Which begs the question "Who was the first blues-man (woman) to
wear a Beret"?
and more importantly..WHY??

>"In a similar vein, I detest having nonblues artists on a blues
>bill. Los Lobos is one of the finest, most intriguing rock acts to
>ever strap on guitars, but there's no reason the East Los Angeles
>veterans this spring should have headlined the Stockton Blues
>Festival".

   Interesting, and I agree. The other night,I was watching a program,
something about "Road to New Orleans" or some drivel. Yes, they DID
hit on a bit of Zydeco & Dixie-land, BUT OVER HALF the program
gravitated back to the Neville Bros. AND the best IS; they were
playing RAGGAE/R&B/Afro-Beat stuff. This is NOT what NOLA is known
for.

   I was starting to get "Vomituous" and "whacked" the channel button.

  Smokey-joe