Re: Blues hats, shades, and capes?

On Saturday, September 06, 2003 10:01 AM [GMT-7=PDT],Alec Drachman
<alec@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I like to dress up for a gig - especially at a new venue. So I often
> wear the cliche blues attire of a hat, leather vest, etc. I find that
> most club owners appreciate a "professional look" to their bands as
> opposed to guys who come in wearing ratty jeans and a t-shirt. It
> helps give the paying customers a sense that they are seeing a
> professional show. Also, this may seem like another cliché, but there
> is something about putting on that hat that helps me change mindsets
> and transform myself from mild-mannered teacher by day to blues
> front-man at night - perhaps I need therapy.

Not at all.  There's actually a lot to what you said, Alec.  Dressing the
part helps to get you in the mood.  You look the part, you assume the role
as it were.  Sure it's psychological, but it works.

Also, if you want to make big bucks, you should LOOK like you make big
bucks.  Bill Clarke, Rod Piazza, James Harman all wear suits.

This link contains a very interesting discussion on dressing up, and more
specifically costumes.
While this isn't exactly music (these are street performers, clowns,
stiltwalkers, balloon people, etc.), it still relates.

http://www.performers.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=10&t=000484

BTW some LIVE tunes by The IronMan Curtis BonTemps Blues Band:
http://www.billhouse.com/songs/ironman/WalkingToNewOrleans.mp3
http://www.billhouse.com/songs/YouAreSoBeautiful.mp3
http://www.billhouse.com/songs/ironman/PrettyWoman.mp3
http://www.billhouse.com/songs/StormyMonday.mp3
(and - hint hint - we're looking to tour)

Live video of IronMan http://www.studiocam.org/rplayer/rplayermc56.htm

Health care for blues musicians?  Sign the petition!
http://www.PetitionOnline.com/qd3d2222/petition.html

- -IronMan Mike Curtis http://www.ironmancurtis.com *Southland Blues Magazine
http://www.SouthlandBlues.com TU 8pm jam Starboard Attitude, Redondo pier
Every Sun, 2pm Stagger Inn, 9018 Alondra, Bellflower, except:
Last SUN, LARHA HarpJam, Tia Juanas, Irvine
Sat Sept 6, Lomita Fair