Re: XB bending vs Overblowing

jazmaan wrote:
> I'm curious how some of you dedicated overblowers who may
> now own an XB-40 feel about it?  Will you stick with
> overblowing or become converts?

I bought an XB-40 from Tim Northcutt at SPAH, and have been playing
it a little.  It's interesting, I think it's kind of a different
class of instrument from a diatonic (thought I realize that
technically, it's tuned that way).  The most interesting thing to me
about it is the ability to add ornamentations, like blow bends,
whereever you want, no dependent on which hole, blow or draw.  I like
it for playing standards.  For this reason, I almost wish it was
Melody Maker tuned.  But I don't wish it enough to retune it!

I don't plan on switching my "normal" axe over to the XB-40 to
replace my overblows.  Overblowing is starting to come as naturally
as bends, and I find I can't play without it.  One thing that got me
playing the harp in the first place was being able to stick one in my
pocket, and the XB is just enough bigger to make that a problem for
me.  I'll stick to my eclectic mix of Golden Melodies, classic
Meisterklasses, and customized Marine Bands, and play the XB-40 when
for some standards.

- -tim