Re: Blow Bends

I had a big struggle a few years ago with really effectively using the upper
end of the harp.  I'm still not where I want to be, but I'm a lot closer.  What
I did was to find a lick or two that crossed the "6-7 hole barrier" in one
direction or the other -- either getting up there and getting back down again.
Then I found that when I practiced or jammed, anytime I wasn't performing, I
could throw in that lick and find myself in a place where I could improvise and
develop new licks, and get back down again.  Over time I gradually found myself
spending more and more time on the upper end of the harp, and feel much more
comfortable there.  I use the 9 blow bend and 10 blow bend more than the
straight notes, and use the upper end draw notes a lot.  The Bb practice harp I
have in my pocket has nearly as much discoloration above hole 6 as below!

- -tim