Marine Band Combs

Howard Chandler wrote

"Oh, one last thing.  The method of sealing Marine Band combs involves
diping
them in hot melted beeswax?"

Rather than trying to seal your Marine Band comb which is dangerous and
not entirely affective have a go at making a new comb out of plastic.
     I really like the size and feel of marine bands and the sound of
course, and for months I have been wishing some one would make a plastic
comb that could be substituted for the wooden one. I have previously put
MB plates and covers on a Special 20 comb but it's not a tin sandwhich,
it works fine but it was not what I wanted.
     I was pondering this the other day and my brain accidentally
slipped into gear and I thought "bugger it I'll make the damn thing myself"
     The choice of material was easy it had to be some sort of
plastic,so I got a 30 cm square of 6mm thick PVC from a local plastic
supply. They actually gave it to me, so if you try this ask if they have
any offcuts.
     Next I clamped the wooden comb onto the sheet of PVC with the teeth
lined up along one edge and I carefully traced around the comb with a
razor blade so I had a clear outline on the PVC,undo the clamps and put
you wooden comb aside.
     Now the fun part,cut the teeth out first with a fret saw,don't try
and cut it to the correct size just remove as much material as you can
without cutting into the comb part, this makes a hell of a mess,
when you have done this get a small file and start to file it to the
correct size, use your wooden comb as a template and check often to see
if you are on track.
     When you are happy with your comb cut it out of the sheet of PVC,
try and cut it nearly to size you just need to leave enough material to
remove any saw marks and pretty it up when you are finished.
     If you are happy with what you have done so far put your reed
plates on the comb one at a time to make sure that the reeds don't foul
on the comb,then it's just a matter of lining up the reed plates
drilling holes for nuts and bolts for the reeed plates and covers.
     When you have got to this stage it's just a matter of tidying up
I round off the ends of the teeth and make sure they are very smooth.
I have only made one comb so far but it works fine and the snow white
comb looks pretty funky as well, Ill certainly be making some more of
these combs for my other MB's.It is a bit time consuming but the
satisfaction of making something like this that makes your instrument
better is worth it.
     And for all the material debaters out there it sounds just like a
Marine Band with a wooden come (to my ears anyway).

                     Have A Nice Life
                         Chris Brunner