MBs vs S20s (WAS Embossing)

Howard Chandler says

<SNIP>

> Could it be that the reason I
> loved my old MB's so much compared to the SP20's and LO's is the
just
> tuning?

More likely it's the MB covers.
(Am I the only one who thinks this?)
Marine Bands (& Big Rivers) have "vents" in the covers that affect how
the harmonica
sounds to the PLAYER's ears versus harmonicas that don't have 'em,
like Special 20's, GMs, 364s, etc.

"Classic" type (or, in the US "handmade") Special 20s and 1896s have
the same intonation.

Interestingly, they sound VERY MUCH the same to the average listener
(in your audience).

It's not the combs. It's the covers.
(It's only an opinion.)

<SNIP>

> Is there some sort of way to test a reed while tuning
> that doesn't require putting the harp back together?

You can "plink" it, or you can blow through it, carefully, with your
lips on the reedplate- you'll have to lip-block, though,
tongue-blocking doesn't work very well! ;-)

- -Scorcher