Re: Embossing and other questions

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "G." <gigs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Howard Chandler" <chandler@xxxxxxxxx>; "harp-l" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, September 14, 2003 1:31 AM
Subject: Re: Embossing and other questions

Intonation.
> If you buy a special 20 and marine band in the same key they will sound
the same
> when played side by side.   However a Lee Oskar or Golden Melody played
along
> side them will sound rougher.

They stopped the Marine Bands and Special 20's that way in 1985. They tuned
the 5 & 9 Draw for about a year and a half the same way as the MS series is
on those two notes, and then for  about aniother year and a half, they
actually were ET, and until the early to mid 90's, how it was tuned depended
on who did the tuning. By the mid 90's, the Sp20's and HM MB's are as they
are presently, tho with FAR less consistency than when they had the original
tuning. On top of that, the back of the cover plates began shrinking (less
metal being used), and the back of the cover plates became much less open
and unfortunately, lost output volume with this move.

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA