Re: custom diatonic harmonicas

I applaud Chris Brunner's where with all and initiative.  My hat's off
to anyone willing to take the hours required to custom manufacture their
own replacement harmonica comb.  Joe Filisko didn't make the same
product he makes today ten years ago.  It's one step at a time.  If
someone wants to buy a video and begin that long journey towards viable
custom quality harmonicas good for them.  I play pretty much all custom
harmonicas but my current favourite is an A Marine Band on a composite
comb that was built by me.  I'm no James Gordon but this harmonica
really works.  The upsides being the application of a lot of little bits
of knowledge into a single location and actually having a favourable
result.  Then there's Steve Guyger, all stock harmonicas and the guy is
a monster player.  Personally I think it's worth the investment to at
least buy one decent custom but I certainly understand just playing
stock harmonicas and or adjusting them yourself.  The impression I get
from watching Richard Sleigh work and explain his methods at his various
workshops and seminars is that what he knows is just the sum total of a
huge amount of observation and experience and a lot of it is simply
investing the time that's required to acquire the context. It does help
that Richard's an extremely intelligent and talented individual but he'd
be nowhere without having put in the time.  fjm