Re: custom diatonic harmonicas

As usual, fjm hits a lot of chords here....No one has become a good
customiser overnight, but if they didn't start somewhere, they'd never get
anywhere.

It's taken me years and years to get reliable in my repairs and
custom work, but now I can depend on myself to produce a wonderful playing
instrument, done when I need it and tweaked perfectly for me. I can also
rapidly repair my harps when needed, and quickly get them back up to the
starting gate, sometimes right at a gig. I continue to learn and improve
each time I approach a harp. And lots of people who have my videos have
written me gratefully with similar comments.

If someone has any interest in working on their harps, starting with clear
directions will help the learning curve. I would never claim that anyone
could develop these skills in an instant, but most people with an interest
and some patience will get better and better as they continue to experiment
and apply proper principles.

As far as paid customisers go (I'm also one) I really think that people
learning about their own harps will help that profession. The more that
people realize what is really involved, the more they are willing to pay for
the extreme detail and hours that are necessary to produce a fine harp. It
was my sincere hope that the videos would help all customisers, as well as
individual players.

Thanks to everyone who sent me birthday wishes! And now, it's back to
reorganizing my entire house...carrying tons of stuff upstairs, trucking
stuff downtown, applying plywood to the windows and doors, and getting ready
for Isabel to make landfall............

Best,

Rupert Oysler
http://harprepair.com/