Customised harps

>>>Rainbow Jimmy wrote:
Since I love Lee Oskars straight out of the box, they do everything I need,
is there an advantage to custom harps? None of my harp heros use custom
harps. Granted there wasn't much for custom harps back when Paul Butterfield
and Sonny Terry played, but Charlie Musselwhite and James Cotton play stock
harps and sound great.>>>

Rainbow Jimmy>>>>>

....and Chris Brunner wrote:
I think the message coming out of the recent thread regarding embossing and
custom harps is not that it is easy to turn an out of the box harp into a
harp as good as those produced by customisers, it's more that you can fix
your own harps and return an unplayable dog back into a decent
instrument.>>>>

I would like to know what kind of people actually decide to buy custom
harps.  Just professionals?  The rate I get through harps, especially
Special 20s (two months per harp if I'm lucky), would make buying custom
harps a very expensive option for me (I don't make money from playing the
harmonica - you hear that, Mr Taxman?  ;-)  ).  And once little things start
needing adjusting, a bit of fine-retuning here, a bit of gapping there -
then it isn't really a custom harp any more is it, unless I send it back (at
frequent intervals?) to the customiser?  So I'd better have customised spare
harps too?  I can get my Lee Oskars and Special 20s to such condition with
my own usual bits of low-tech tweaking - including "Paddy-Richtering" my
harps - that any faults in my playing are 100% me and 0% the harp.  So how
much would I gain from the extra financial layout?
Of course I want to play better - but at what point does the law of
diminishing returns set in?

Please note the question marks. I am a relatively impecunious amateur
harmonica player but I want to keep improving.  Perhaps a customised harp
would be a real revelation to me, but I can't afford to buy one to find out!

Steve Shaw.

Want more than the blues?  Try Irish!
http://mysite.freeserve.com/trad_irish_harmonica

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger