Re: Reedplate Edges

<quote>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 05:49:47 -0500
From: "Tim Bennett" <timbennett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Reedplate Edges

How would I go about smoothing reedplate edges?

I am thinking specifically about the Hohner MS Blues Harp, but other models
have this problem.

Thanks,
Tim Bennett
</quote>

Hi there,
For this I use various grades of Wet & Dry paper (found in the sandpaper section
of hardware stores, intended for metal paintwork prepartion, etc - its
black/grey) for what you're talking about 600 grit to 1200 grit will do fine.
I use Autosol metal polish to finish the job.  If you have a hobby rotary tool
this makes for lighter/faster work with a rubber bit or polishing attachment.

I have found the MS series reedplates & comb edges quite rough on the mouth, but
you only need to polish them up once to make them nice and comfortable.  I still
prefer "handmade"/Classic models to MS overall, although I'm starting to change
my mind about the MS MeisterKlass...
if the "handmade" MK was still in production I'd stick with it.

Cheers
G.
http://harmonica.7p.com