Re: longevity of custom harps

Bob wrote:
> The process of customizing a harmonica includes several
> process to extend the life of the reeds. I have seen that most
> custom harps that I build, last at least a YEAR before needing
> any reed replacemant.

Not to take issue with what any one customizer might do, my
observation has been that it is a player's approach to a customized
harp that makes more difference in longevity than any process the
customizer employs.  In fact, one of the chief benefits of a
customized harp is that it is more air tight, which actually channels
more of a player's energy through the reed slots.  If a player
doesn't accommodate this change they can actually blow out a
customized harp MORE quickly.  With a customized harp you don't have
to (and perhaps CAN'T) play as hard to get the same volume and
response, and playing harps more gently will result in longer reed
life.  All this results in a harp that lasts longer.

- -tim