re: SM-57, wow!, help!

hey all,

   oh boy... so... i blew some dough on a new mic, as
i needed a backup. bought an SM-57 pretty much on rep
alone.
   this thing is great! it has a nice warm tone, and
the bass is really punchy. and no feedback. not even a
whisper. it's comparing well to my bullet, which has
muddier bass, slightly weaker tone, and is more
feedback resistant. it MAY be a not so great element,
of course, but i'm still surprised at the difference.
  now the downsides -- holy hand cramp, batman!
cupping that little sucker is a P.A.I.N., especially
with the chromatic (the other problem, it picks the
bass side of the chro so much more than than the high
end notes). AND, because of the impedance adapter and
the male/female adapter i ended up having to get, the
thing is like 10ft. long before i even get to the
cable! there's no way to hold it but straight down. i
think i can get a better impedance adapter (this one
isn't very snug and ends in a male 1/4", but it's all
they had) which will be a start. any other
suggestions? start working out more? :)
  anyway... so, i've got a great new backup, maybe
even first-string, mic. i'm happy. just need to
"smooth the edges" as it were. darlin', help me,
please!

      --J