Re: mic cables

 Tim Moyer wrote:

<<<< I bought a really nice cable from Tim Northcutt of Hot Rod Harps at SPAH2003.  It's a very nicely made (gold plated connectors, heavy construction) 15' 1/4"-to-1/4" guitar cable with a built in circuit interupter in one end.  It's not a switch, it's a circuit interupter, so there's no "POP" when you switch it off.  Keep it at the head and you have an on/off switch on every 1/4" mic head you own.  Use it at a gig to switch mic heads in the middle of a performance.  As I have been switching most of my mics to 1/4", this is very handy for me.  - -tim   >>>>>

 ( Speaking of Tim Northcutt, if I may: I bought an XB40 from him a couple of weeks ago (love this thing ), and it was quickest, most efficient exchange I've ever done. I e-mailed him to reserve one for me, told him I'd make arrangements to PayPal the money to him in the next day or two. He responded with a printed receipt, and had already dropped my harp in the mail. In two days I had my baby. Thanks Tim !)

THE 'REAL' MESSAGE:
  My revelation of the week: Musician's Friend is selling the Guyatone cable (gold plated, 1/4" to 1/4" etc.) with the VOLUME SLIDER at one end. I've been looking for these for a very long time. Now I don't have to butcher my vintage mics.
  When the volume slider is all the way down, mic swithching is silent.

  Pricing is odd, but convenient for harpists: the 3m length (about 5 feet) is something like 40 dollars. The 7m (about 23 feet) is 70 or 80 dollars. But the 5m (about 16 1/2 feet) is only 19 dollars. Go figure.

  Construction is solid, with about an inch and a quarter sliding range, shipping is about 4 dollars, takes about 3 days by "regular" mail.

  I used to use a little Switchcraft volume device with screw-on connectors at each end (screw one end to the mic, the other to the cable), but they were hard to find and really cheaply made. The Guyatone (they make excellent effects devices too) is great. Though it'd be nice if someone had a source to buy JUST the tip-and-slider assembly, and I could make my own cord-lengths.

 Hope this posts okay...I'm accessing my AOL via Microsoft Internet E-mail program...the "Plain Text" settings don't always communicate with one another. My apologies if this brings hieroglyphics garbage along with my message.

 Jeff Gathercole
 Denver CO