Fwd: more on custom harps

- --- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "alciere" <alciere@xxxx>
wrote:

So, would I gain much with a custom Marine Band in playibility and
comfort
over a Lee Oskar?
======

You would get something different. The Filiskos and Jimmy Gordon that
I own are responsive in a different way than a Lee Oskar. They
deliver a huge amount of energy from the reed, more even than an
Oskar, but are both more capable of nuance and more demanding of my
technique, especially the Filiskos - hit me wrong and they'll bite
back, hit 'em right and they'll make you feel the love.

====

I'm thinking of getting a few custom Marine bands, for recording when
we
play more traditional blues and keeping the LOs for practice and live
work.

====

The problem is that unless you practice with the custom instruments,
you won't get the most out of them. Admittedly, I wouldn't want to
blow them out honking away in a loud bar. But I would practice with
them to learn how to get them to deliver the stuff you won't get out
of your Oskars.

An Oskar is a well-made harp and you can expect a certain base line
of performance ability out of it. A custom will kick that up several
notches and will open possibilities that the Oskar doesn't reach. But
they are subtle. It takes time to find them.

One common assumption is that a custom harp is easier to play than a
stock harp. In many cases that's true. But in some ways a custom
instrument can be harder to play. The difference is that instead of
struggling for basic playability like you might with a poorly-
assembled instrument, you're struggling to open up the extended
performance ability of the custom, and to handle its sometimes
overwhelming power.

Tricycle or fighter jet?

Winslow