Opening MB cover plates (was: "Subject: Re: Embossing and other questions"

Barbeque Bob wrote:
"On top of that <snip> the back of the [handmade Marine Band] cover plates
became much less open and unfortunately, lost output volume with this move."

================================

I have a really easy way to open up the cover plates on a handmade Marine
Band.
Step 1.: Head down to your local hardware megastore and buy a pair of Irwin
Vise Grip locking sheet metal tools. You can search for them at
www.irwin.com or, better yet, just click here
<http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/jhtml/productDetail.jhtml?attributeId=BMATT1000117&currentType=BM1000005>
Step 2. Using a thin-bladed pocketknife, pry off the cover plates.
Step 3. Using the aforementioned Irwin Vise Grip locking sheet metal tools,
grip that part of the cover plate that hangs down and bend it back as much
as you can.
Step 4. Release the vise grip and then use it to crimp down the bent part
the rest of the way.
Voila. The nice thing is that the width of this vise grip is just right -
it's like they were MADE for opening up Marine Bands. I've done this using a
Leatherman tool, bending that part back little by little until it's all
done, then flattening it with a hammer. Not pretty. The Vise Grip tool is
quicker and does a much better job.
Now for the inevitable question: How does this affect their
tone/sound/projection? Answer: Hmm, I guess you could say it opens it up a
bit. ;-) Seriously though, it's not going to radically change the harp, but
if you like Marine Bands anyway (as I do), then this might make you like 'em
a bit more.
When I get a new MB, I immediately do this to the plates. Then I take that
key sticker from the box and put it on the top cover plate and coat it with
a dab of clear nail polish for longevity; then I take the reed plates off
and adjust the gaps; and give the combs a quick spray or two of a
water-based polyurethane coating (I tried shellac but had a mild allergy).
Once they've dried and I have the reeds gapped the way I want, I re-assemble
using needle-nose pliers to jam those little nails back into their holes. I
don't really do anything to make the harp more air-tight - I've found that
by gapping the reeds the way I want, I get all the response and playability
I need; and I can always get any MB to where I can overblow the 4, 5, and 6
(and I even got one C harp to where I can overdraw the 7). My "custom" harps
are not nearly as good as, say, Bob Meehan's. But they are far better for me
than they were out of the box. I'm still waiting on a couple of Hering
Vintage 1923s that I ordered. I've been a Marine Band guy for about four
years now but .... well, we'll see.
MN

PS: Last tip of the day, I have mini Leatherman tool, the Squirt P4, that I
use quite a lot for harp tinkering. Not bad.