Re: Customised harps

Bob Maglinte and others have made very convincing arguments on the
economic benefits of buying a custom harp vs thinking that one can save
money by doing it yourself.  For a gigging musician or an amateur with
the dough these arguments all make good sense.  For the amount of labor
that I've heard goes into these things, the price is more than
reasonable.  I can see that plumbing the depths of this craft can become
like any other hobby run amok.  Kind of like buying a $30K bass boat to
save a few bucks on seafood.

To understand my own motivations for wanting to know how it's done has
more to do with my day job, where I work as an engineer in the acoustics
division of a national research laboratory.   So in some respects, it
has more to do with intellectual curiosity.  Of course I'm interested in
honing my playing skills, and developing new ones that I hear are
possible only with a well adjusted harp.

However, I can't say that I'm all that dissatisfied with my stock
harps.  Since going over to the plastic combs I get much more consistent
quality than I ever did with the stock MB's.  I've learned to be much
more careful with them than I used to be when I was younger and wilder.
It's been a long time since I screwed up a reed by blowing it wrong.  It
usually has more to do with potato chips and other party food.  I
learned a long time ago that about the only time I have a reed go south
is when some knucklehead has decided to give my harp a blow when I'm not
looking.  Now I'm a lot more watchful about them, and almost everybody
in the family knows not to screw with them.

Of course, as with anything, there is a middle ground.  Just like every
guitarist should know at minimum how to tune his guitar, there are harp
maintenance tasks that one should learn in due course such as how to
safely get that piece of popcorn dislodged from the comb.  Eventually
most guitarists will learn to set their own intonation and so on (at
least roughly), and inevitably an avid harp player will become more
emboldened to tackle things like gapping and tuning etc.

To summarize the things I've learned:
1.  A good seal between reedplate and comb is essential.
2.  Proper reed gapping, shaping and slot clearance coupled with a more
sensitive playing style are necessary to produce reliable overblows.
3.  Smoothing sharp corners on reedplates and combs makes playing safer
and more comfortable.
4.  Providing cover clearance for the long reeds will eleminate low note
rattle
3.  Opening up the back of the covers can increase loudness and improve
tone.

I've also received a good deal of practical advice concerning sealing,
finishes, screws and even embossing.  In some cases, I've been given the
impression that there are other secrets that I ought best to learn on my
own either because they were taught not to reveal the secrets by their
master, or because these skills were hard won and I will need to pay my
own dues.  Either way, I understand and am grateful for all that has
been so graciously offered.

Anyway, thanks for reading my meanderings and for all the great advice.

Howard Chandler