Re: Big Walter's Customized Harp

Hey Bob,

- --- Bob Maglinte <bbqbob917@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Ken,
> Having personally met and hung out with Big
> Walter Horton, I seriously doubt that he had
> ever tweaked any of his harps at all, as he
> pretty much played them straight out of the box
<<snip>>

Although I have no personal knowledge about Big
Walter's harps, the view in that video is very
clear. The back of the cover plates had been opened
up so that nothing hung down. It revealed a nice
open space, similar to the outward appearence of
harps tweaked by today's customizers.

Perhaps Walter opened up that harp for that
particular accoustic performance to get a little
more volume, or perhaps he borrowed a harp from
someone who had... but I saw what I saw. It was
unlike the typical Marine Bands of that era or any
other era of stock Marine Bands that I've ever
seen. It's also possible that it might not have
been a Marine Band at all... maybe it was something
he purchased in Germany just for that gig. I dunno.

The booklet that came with the DVD also included a
closeup photo of some of Sonny Boy Williamson's
Marine Band harps laid out on a towel which shows
the typical cover plates of Marine Bands of that
era... the rear lip of the cover plate hanging down
perpendicular, partially obscuring the rear opening
of the harps.

I'll see if I can get a still shot made from the
vid, and if I succeed, I'll send it to you offlist
to see what you think.

Harpin' in Coloado,
- --Ken M.

=====
"When you speak of Walter Horton, the first thing you think of is his tone, that big, fat tone."
- ---Li'l Ronnie Owens