Re: Big Walter's Customized Harp

Scorcher wrote:
<<
Lee Oskars are more consistent and durable than the
average stock _______ (fill in the blank) harmonica, that's true.
But they have a "unique sound" that a lot of players don't
like, and they squeal like a pig if not properly set up.
McDonalds hamburgers and Starbucks coffee are benchmarks
of "consistency" - doesn't mean they're high quality, though.
<<

In my opinion, Lee Oskars sound great.  Period.  I invite anyone on this
list to download the solo acoustic pieces I've made available at my site
at http://www.hunterharp.com/mp3s.html.  Those performances were all
recorded on Lee Oskar harmonicas, with no processing in the mix except
for a little EQ and reverb.  The sound of those harps compares very
favorably with any acoustic harmonica recording I've heard; every
published review of my solo CDs commented on the clarity and beauty of
the recorded sound.  Would the reviewers have liked the sound better if
the instruments had been Hohners?  I doubt it.

On the electric side, recent recordings by Lee Oskar demonstrate pretty
conclusively that his harps sound damn good when they're projected
through an amp, too.

Oskars "squeal like a pig" when they're not set up properly?  On
overblows, maybe.  I agree that Lee Oskars aren't the best choice for
people who overblow all the time.  My guess is that that accounts for
roughly 1/2% of the harmonica-playing population.  For people who
overblow sometimes (like me) or not at all (like most harp players),
this isn't an issue.

In any case, my firm belief is that every player should use the
instruments that inspire the player.  The whole point of the instrument
is to help the player channel inspiration into music.  If you're
inspired by Hohners, by all means use them.  If it makes you feel better
to know that  your friends are using them too, great.  The feedback I
get from my audiences and the producers I work with is what makes me
feel good.  I know they like the sound of Oskars just fine.

Regards, Richard Hunter