Re: Big Walter's Customized Harp

Just for the record, I'd like to disassociate myself from the
"outrageous" comment.  While I feel I can be expressive and musical with
my stock harps, I do realize that there are limitations to what can be
done with these things out of the box.  Long before Howard Levy was
doing the amazing things that he does with OB's, I had discovered them
all by myself, kind of by accident.  The trouble was that I could get
them to pop out on some harps, on some holes, and on others I just get
squeals.  That's as far as I ever got.  When I stumbled on a harp that
could be coaxed to play those mystery  notes, I started learning ways to
use it.  The trouble was, I didn't know  (and I still don't know) how to
make these curious notes happen all the time on any given harp.  I never
even came close to the kind of things that players are now able to do.
So, if the customizers have figured this all out this is a good thing.
At least it is if you're interested in it.

Now,  about spending bucks to get it.  I've stated that given estimates
of the effort it takes to wrangle a harp into submission, the going rate
is quite reasonable.  However, I'm a dyed in the wool DIYer.  That's my
own personal afliction.

Someone else wrote about the need for  a community of  harp players
helping each other out.  Well, in the short time I've been reading this
list, I've learned a great deal that I would never have figured out on
my own.  I'm now regularly gapping my reeds, even when they still
produce a note, a task that I never would have attempted before joining
this virtual community.  I can finally stop trying to hit that one
missing note to "On the Road Again". because on this list, I've had my
suspision of many years confirmed that the harp used was not like the
ones you buy at the music store.  I even know how to alter one (as soon
as I get the nerve to try)  to get my own special harp.

Anyway, thanks to all for being here.  I think I'll go sit in the corner
with my beer and listen for a while.

Cheers,

Howard Chandler