Re: Big Walter's Customized Harp - Mystery Solved!

Hi,

Thanks to Howard Chandler and Bob Maglinte for
suggesting that Big Walter's "mystery harp" could
have been a bigger type of Marine Band rather than,
as I conjectured, a customized short harp.

I went back to the video in question and took a
closer look - stopping it as BW opened up that cup
to reveal the open-backed harp. Then, using the
"zoom" function, got in for an even closer view
(doncha just love modern technology).

Stopping the action revealed that the harp in
question did indeed have "Marine Band" markings on
the top cover. Walter was holding the harp in his
right hand at that moment, working the high end of
the harp, using his open left palm to tap it a bit.

I compared the screen's image to what I looked like
(in a mirror), first holding a regular Marine Band,
then with one of my big 12-hole 364 Marine Bands.
Upon careful comparison I could see that Walter's
index finger only covered about half the harp
leaving the entire word "Marine" clearly visible,
while my finger (on a standard Marine Band) covered
a bit more than half, partially obscuring the word
"Marine." In addition, Walter was hitting the 9
blow bend pretty hard just then and was not
anywhere near the end of the harp. When I held my
364 the same way and hit the 9 blow, the
proportions were just right.

Walter was in all likelyhood using a 12-hole 364
Marine Band in the key of G on the vid. Walter's
hands must have been pretty big, however, because
he was able to pretty much bury that harp in his
cup during most of the song.

After solving the mystery I rewound a bit and once
again enjoyed his wonderful playing, marveling at
his sense of rhythm, and of course, that Big, Fat
Tone.

Harpin' in Colorado,
- --Ken M.

- --- Bob Maglinte wrote:

> Hi Howard,
> Actually, that makes sense, and I remember in the
> mid-80's on a rehearsal with the Cambridge
> Harmonica Orchestra, I had a conversation with
> Chris Turner, and he mentioned that the 364/365
> Marine Bands actually came in all 12 keys at one
> time, so that could very well be true.

=====
"When you speak of Walter Horton, the first thing you think of is his tone, that big, fat tone."
- ---Li'l Ronnie Owens