Re: Introverted Gussing

Ear of the beholder, I suppose.

I was recently at a large and well-known harmonica event which hosted several nights of harmonica music.  A gentleman in the audience repeatedly pulled out his chromatic to figure out the key of songs being played.  He was attempting to play very quietly, I guess, but he was still heard several feet away, even over the amplified sound.  I'm a pretty easy going guy, but I kept getting distracted from the musical event by this man's note sampling and I kept hoping that he would stop.  His enjoyment of the event might have been increased but mine was decreased (others' too, based on the glances being shot at him).

It seems that out-of-place notes travel over air much better than correct ones.

Perhaps a good rule-of-thumb would be "when in doubt, lay out-- or at least step out of audible range for others who might not enjoy your activity".

Having said that, I describe myself as an out-of-earshot gusser.  I step away and really smother the harp in my hands to keep the sound to myself and not attract notice.  I hope I'm accurate in my assessment.

Regards,
Frank