A Bit of History

On Sunday past, the Dave McKelvy Trio once again was privileged to play
for the Society of Singers organization 13th Annual Picnic in Sherman
Oaks, CA. Always an interesting event, but this time one of the
attendees was actress Jane Withers. She may also be remembered as
Josephine the Plumber in TV ads for Comet Cleanser for 21 years.
Harmonica content? Here it comes!

Twelve-year-old Jane, in the role of "Gypsy", is the star of 1938 film,
"Rascals", which also starred the Borrah Minevitch Harmonica Rascals.
This film gave the Rascals more time on screen than any other film they
appeared in - they played almost throughout the entire film, and were
themselves actors throughout. Jane even had a stint on bass harmonica
that looked quite authentic, though of course someone else was playing
off camera for her. Minevitch Rascals personnel are: Borrah Minevitch,
Abe Diamond, Leo Diamond, Harry Feinberg, Louis "Fuzzy" Feldman, Al
Furbish, Harry Hier, Ernie Morris, Alex Novelle, and of course Johnny
Puleo. Of those, only Harry Feinberg of New Jersey is still alive. When
I spoke to Miss Withers, I told her Harry was the only one remaining,
and she was sorry to hear that.

This evening, Lorraine and I sat down and watched the film once more, as
she also was able to meet and talk with Miss Withers. A great film, with
lots of harmonica throughout.

Photos from the film at: http://www.bassharp.com/montage.htm

Danny
- --