Gussing exposed

Seems to me that the heart of "gussing", as it is called, is to assume a =
position that one has not earned or been given or appointed to. This =
could apply either to the musical stage, where one arranges a =
performance with the club manager, or is invited to play, by those who =
have been so appointed. In the context of the performance, the arranged =
performers have the authority to choose who may or may not play with =
them on stage, or nearby, thusly affecting their pre-arranged =
performance. One who assumes on his or her own the right to perform, =
disregarding the protocol of admission and pre-arrangement, may be =
called a "gusser", and should be disallowed, discouraged, and =
disappointed, saving in the case of spontaneous, uncoerced invitation by =
the rightful performers. Other, generally approved forms of support for =
the performers and the music could be given by means of dancing, =
hand-clapping, shouts of approval, removing various objects of apparel, =
etc,,
Music is about harmony, and the disorder created by the unskilled or =
even the skilled "gusser" is out of character with the situation of =
harmony desired in a musical setting, the exception being, again, when =
the alleged "gusser" has been willingly invited onstage, or off, to play =
along, by the legitimate performers. Harmony being a recurring theme in =
terms of a musical context, it is also a theme in many other social =
contexts, including that of even this harmonica forum. There is always =
the possibility of disruption to the otherwise harmonious setting =
issuing from a situation wherein one who has no underlying right to =
speak in a particular manner exercises his or her assumed right to do =
so, thereby disrupting the previously enjoyed harmony of the group.

It is my personal feeling that the public flogging of a certain Michelle =
Free has, perhaps, entered into this area of disharmony, regardless of =
the genuinely expressed feelings of certain ones regarding the sometimes =
distasteful practice of "gussing" and its effects on a performance. The =
overbearing manner in which this has been expressed, and the seeming =
ignorance of the particular and unusual circumstances in which said =
Michelle exercised her freedom, AT THE INVITATION OF THE PERFORMER, has =
in my own opinion, been in some ways, as distasteful to witness as any =
"gussing" I've been witness to in any particular musical setting. Though =
we are all invited to share our experiences, related to harmonica =
playing, in this forum, I personally don't see what right anyone has to =
try to put Michelle "in her place", quenching her joy of discovery, and =
hearfelt "confession", accompanied with special, extenuating =
circumstances. I think the rebukes to have been somewhat heavy-handed, =
personally.=20

Kudos to Michelle, within the context of her special circumstances. =
Kudos also to Harry Harpoon, whoever he may be, for being so gracious as =
to invite Michelle to play. Kudos to all who make this world a little =
less rigid, less religious in its adherence to strict observance of "the =
rules", at the expense of a kinder, gentler, more encompassing humanity. =
Would that all musicians could stretch a little, to be a little less =
about themselves, and have larger hearts. It's a rare thing, but quite =
wonderful when observed, this generosity. I'm not saying that one must =
sacrifice the integrity of the performance for the sake of a drunken =
pseudo-wannabe. I just don't think Michelle's circumstance reflects =
this, but rather a willingness to enjoy, along with a willingness not to =
be intrusive.

Just my opinion, humble or not.