Re: A Bit of History

Howard Chandler writes:

"... I want to say how much I
appreciate hearing and seeing stuff about the
chromatic and orchestra type stuff... That's what was
popular.I have always loved hearing the stuff that
groups like the Harmonica Rascals were doing before
the war, but about the only place that one heard this
stuff was if you watched old movies on the late late
show. Where can I learn more about these groups. How
did these players hook up and how did they get into
playing their various instruments."

Hi Howard, everyone,

   the most comprehensive history i've seen of the
harmonica in general, including groups like the
rascals, is "Harmonicas, Harps, and Heavy Breathers"
by Kim Field. it's most likely the kind of thing you'd
have to order online, though i managed to find it in
my local quirky bookstore. i get the impression Kim
has a warm spot in his heart saved for players of this
era, and he devotes considerable space to them. he
also covers many of the blues players, old and new,
Stevie Wonder, Bonfiglio, Levy, Dylan, country players
and others (are there others!?). while i think it is
desperately lacking a Volume II (missing notables,
foreign players, George Harmonica Smith, Joe Filisko,
and i'm, sure he could find alot more...) it's a
wonderful book. go check it out...

     --Jp