Re: Confessions of a Gusser

I found this while reading about the Texas based psycedelic band from
the 60's, the 13th Floor Elevators.  It's an excerpt from a
web-published book "Life as an Elevator"  by former band member Amiel N.
Pouadahka.   I thought it might be appropriate to this thread.  At the
very least, food for thought.

.... Tommy shouted from the back to be heard over the blaring radio, "It
really shows what kind of people we are," he said.  "What do you mean by
that?" I asked.  "Well you see there are three kinds of people in this
world, one-eyed, two-eyed, and three eyed." he answered.
I shook my head affirmatively but I did not have a clue about what he
was saying. I shake my head again giving him an indication that I want
him to continue. "The one-eyed men are the ones who spend all of their
lifetimes watching other people to make sure that there are no rules
disobeyed. They lay in wait to catch someone doing something wrong and
then report the incident to the enforcers." Tommy explained. ""Oh yeah,
I see man, do you mean like cops, soldiers, government agents...like
that, the karma police?" I ask. "Yeah," he says, "like hall moniters in
grade school taking names and kicking ass. They carry the rules around
in their pockets so they can refer to it and make notes on anyone who is
breaking them. One-eyed men have a rule for every situation. Every
action is either right or wrong depending on the rule book. See what I
mean man?" he queries. "Yeah, I understand, like a world of absolute
dicotomy where a person can only exist in only one state at any given
time." I answer. He pauses and I nod with an expression of prodding
inquisition so he continues. "But two-eyed men, they are different." he
says. "They are the manipulating spin doctors that will take either side
of an issue depending on which side is in their best interest. They
flip-flop from one opinion to another filling the mold like melted
plastic. They have no ethical basis for their reasoning. They
persuasively and charismaticly establish themselves in positions of
authority where they remain unchallanged. They maintain their power and
control sometimes indefinitely. They are the leaders, kings, presidents,
dictators, and generals who fill the power fields left by the less
capable one-eyed enforcers." Tommy explains. "Yeah, but what about the
three-eyed people?" I ask. "The three-eyed people are the freethinkers.
Freethinkers have been around since the beginning of time but they keep
a low profile." he answers. "That is why they are hard to identify. The
intelligencia represent a threat to the establishment so they stay
underground. It's either that or be crucified,"...

If you found this usefull, great.  If not, delete it and forget about it.

Sincerly,
Howard Chandler