RE: Confessions of a Gusser

Hi Michelle,

          You've said some things in your post that have really helped me to
better understand your motivation in doing what you did. I want to publicly
apologize to you for having come down so hard on you in my earlier response
to your "Confession".

         However, I do disagree with on several things you stated. For the
most part, I think your playing in a corner of the club with the live band
isn't much different then playing along with a recording. There are definite
dangers in that kind of practice unless you are very careful. I've had
students play along with a CD, and they get the false impression that they
are playing on a level equal to that of the artist they are playing along
with. In some cases I've had them turn down the volume of the CD, and then
recorded them playing along with the recorded accompaniment. When I played
it back so they could get a better Idea of how they actually sounded they
were very surprised at what they heard. Yes, that is a hard lesson to learn,
but an important one if you want to improve.

        You mention things like "blending in, and how and when to avoid
stepping on the main performer", but I don't think playing off-stage like
you did in a live venue is the best route to gaining skill in those things.
This is because you are not really "playing off of" the other band members.
In other words no one in the band was following you in terms of your timing
and phrasing, and you were not affecting the timing of the band or a soloist
at any time. You need that instant feedback you get when actually playing
with a live band to really gain those skills.

  I would also suggest that you have to be careful about the kind of
audience feedback you got. Yes, it might build your confidence, and that is
positive, but I don't think it's a really good source of feedback on your
technique or performance.

        Michelle, do take that next step, and find some people you can
actually play with. Continued success,

Allen