Re: Gussing

Dan Elyea wrote:

> One more opinion for the pile:  Though it's been quite a few years that
> I've missed, I have been able to attend a number of  SPAH conventions.
> Often I experienced someone sitting near me trying to play along while
> someone really good was playing up on stage.  I found that particular
> gussing extremely annoying---distracting, disrespectful, and oblivious
> of the enjoyment of others.  With only a few exceptions, I think
> gussing  near others while someone is presenting a show is discourteous
> to the performers and the listeners.  We've heard a few of those
> exceptions mentioned.  Please don't anyone else be encouraged to gus at
> a performance.  Chances are that you've guessed (gussed) wrong.
>
> Dan Elyea  (gusses only with the radio or recordings)
>
> --

Though it's not harp-related, something like this happened to me while Yes
concerts in Argentina (1985). The gig was in an open soccer stadium and
right behind me (lucky me!) there was a guy who tried to sing like Jon
Anderson. If you ever heard Jon's singing, you can imagine how difficult
- -impossible, I'd say- it was for the gusser to imitate the singer. I turned
to him and said "this may be the one and only chance we all have to listen
to Jon Anderson singing... would you be so kind to let us all listen to
HIM!!!???". The gusser stopped immediately...

Fernando Toral
Argentina