Re: Shell Voicings (theory question)

Hi JP,

I've been experimenting with something like this for many years now on
solo tuned chromatic by using "partial chords" in two-part harmony.
On the solo tuned chromatic there are fewer "chords" (three notes or
more) to produce, but a myriad of two-part harmonies that can be
reached.  To do this, I often block out one or two holes in the middle
of my mouth to get the harmony.  I have found this a fascinating and
time-consuming project ;-).

You might want to try using more two-part harmony on the diminished
tuning, because two voices open up more possibilities for each partial
chord.  For instance, if you have D F Ab and B, you can cover more
harmonies by using, for instance, D and B together alone than you can
with adding the F or Ab to the mix.  The D and B can be used together
to create a G major or a G7 chord. They can represent a B minor chord.
The D can be used to harmonize the B as a passing note in C major or
become a C major 9 chord (very nice for the end of tunes).  It also
can be a diminished chord, etc.  Maybe Winslow could think that one
out for us ;-).  That's the basic reason why I opted for two notes at
all times instead of three.

This is nothing "new".  I have heard the two-part harmony technique
used to great effect at various SPAH conventions by older masters on
solo tuned chromatics.  It takes some time in discovering how many
different harmonies you can achieve with your particular instrument
and, especially, how they can resolve nicely into the harmony that
follows it.

You are definitely on the right track, but I don't think there are
many examples of anyone doing this very much on diminished tuning.
Demised, whole tone and also be-bop tuning offer some interesting
chords as well as harmonies that you definitely should be exploring.
Have fun with it.

Michael