RE: GUSSING - LONG

Here's how we of The Association of North Country Fiddlers, Inc. (ANCF)
handle the so-called "gussing" issue.  Although this was written for our
amateur fiddle organization, I think much of it could apply to other
performance situations, especially by musical clubs.

Read more about the ANCF at http://www.fiddlers.org/we.html; the world's
only steam-powered webpage!

Keep On a-Huffin'
Johnny "Big Bad" Wolfe
President, ANCF
Webmaster  http://www.fiddlers.org

The following item is quoted from http://www.fiddlers.org/presnotes1.htm

"AN IMPORTANT MESSAGE ON MUSICALITY: ...

Although the subject had been discussed before, here again is a reminder of
how our on-stage performances should work.  We in the ANCF are very
fortunate to have a large number of talented musicians willing to perform on
their own and accompany others.  We would be at a great loss without these
folks.  There is some concern, however, that sometimes the general
enthusiasm to play confuses the final sound coming form the stage.

Several performers have stated that they would like to be able to choose
their own accompaniment when they are performing individually on stage.  I
believe they make a good point.  This is especially important for those who
have worked up an arrangement of a tune with which others may not be
familiar, or capable of playing.   Also, there is sometimes an issue of just
too many "bodies" on stage.  The S.O.P. (standard operating procedure)
should now and forever be, "Play when it's your turn, then sit down."  The
music should sound clean, and the stage should look uncluttered.

It's fun when we all play together, but we should save that fun for our
meetings' jam sessions.  We still do expect everyone to join in to play the
GROUP songs when we begin our concerts.   But, as soon as the individuals'
performances start, the rest of group should clear out to wait their turns.

There's little musical value to be gained by doubling and tripling up
instrumental parts.   To some who are nervous about performing, there may
seem to be "safety in numbers", but such "safety" may come at the sacrifice
of sound quality and clarity; and the sound must ALWAYS be the first
concern.  If you are the main performer, and you want extra musicians or a
second -or third- fiddler, then that's perfectly fine.  It's your decision.
Invite as many or few to play along with you, as you wish; but make it your
choice, not just acquiescence.

We all want to sound as good as we possibly can when we perform in public.
This is an important matter of musical quality. Certainly we intend no
offense to anyone in particular by this, nor are we trying to hurt anyone's
feelings.  We simply need to stay alert and focused to avoid the
"free-for-all" that some performances may become.  Keep in mind that most of
the time when we perform, people are paying money to hear us.   Let's be
sure they get the best possible show, even if we are not individually
getting paid to entertain.  The fact that we are volunteers should never
mean the audience gets a second-rate show!

Performers, please know exactly what you will play well before you step onto
the stage.  Have two or three extra songs ready in case the musician before
you plays one of "your" songs.  "Be Prepared" works for more than just the
Boy Scouts.  The audience should not be expected to listen to several
versions of the same number, nor should any number go on for more than three
or four repeats. Two good, shorter numbers will beat one that's too long any
day.  Also, if you KNOW another performer usually does a certain song, why
not leave it for them to do?  It may be among the few they know.  Why create
hard feelings?

Be aware that you may know the melody to some song for which no one else
knows the accompaniment.   If you play some unknown number, everyone on
stage looks and sounds foolish, including you.  Never just assume everyone
knows it.  Ask first, and not while standing on stage.  Ascertain that the
people you've chosen to play with you know the number, and in your key, or
it cannot possibly sound as good as you intended.  No one likes to stand on
stage looking and, worse, sounding clueless.  This makes a great case for
PRIVATE REHEARSAL, either backstage, or at home prior to the event.

Performers, please use your good judgment in choosing others to accompany
you.  Think about those you want with you BEFORE you are on stage, and ask
them ahead of time.  This will avoid delays in the show and any possible
embarrassments on stage.

Think hard about how you want to sound.  Usually, "less is best"!  For
example, most fiddle contests allow a maximum of two accompanists.  There is
a good reason for this.  The judges want to be able to hear the main
performer clearly.  Even if it's not a contest, shouldn't any audience get
the same consideration?

Please also stop to consider the audience before you decide to play along
with the on-stage performer from your seat or somewhere else in the room.
This is terribly distracting to the audience and the on-stage performers.
If you want to learn a certain song, bring a tape recorder as many already
do, then practice it at home.  Never, ever, rehearse within earshot of
audience or stage!

TO SUMMARIZE; while everyone is expected to play during our opening tunes,
other fiddlers and backup musicians must be sensitive to the needs of the
individual performer whose turn it is on stage.  Please do not take offense
at the musical decisions that are theirs alone to make. The ANCF has a long
tradition of member cooperation, high quality music, and variety in
performance.  Lets keep striving and improving.  I thank you all in advance
for your cooperation in implementing these improvements at our events."

John Wolfe III, President