Re: Rolling cover plates

Don't know about rolling the coverplates for more reed clearance, but
another option is to use a small punch to make a little dome at the point of
reed contact.  Identify the location for the dome by putting a small piece
of clay on the inside of the cover plate, take off the upper reed plate,
position the coverplate on the comb and gently press the offending reed so
that a mark is made in the clay lining the coverplate.  Punch at the mark.

A small hammer with a soft metal head works great for flattening the metal
that reduces the opening in the back of the cover plates.   Work back and
forth over the entire length, flattening a little bit at a time.  Takes
about 10 min for a cover plate and looks fine.

Jim