Solder on reeds, was: Harpie on this and that

 Hi     jfritz666@xxxxxxxxxxx,

thank you for your reply to my wondering on Smokey-joe=B4s soldering technic=
.

However, before I comment your post I=B4d liked to criticize the general way=
=20
how posts=20
are sent to harp-L for publication. You are a "good" example.=20

Harp-L members contributing since long years know each other and they needn`=
t=20

to close their posts with their unambiguous complete name. So, oldtimers kno=
w=20

who is  B.B.B. or Bobbie (AKA Bebop as I just have learned :)) or Harpie=B4s=
=20
variations as CXfried, Harpfried or simply Siegfried (AKA Seigfeid,=20
Siegfreid,=20
Seigfried etc.)

An exception is or was jm, an oldtimer who constantly refused to reveal his=20
name. =20

But there are many posts without any hint to the sender. I consider that not=
=20
correct=20
and for my part it=B4s not my style to answer e.g: jfritz666@xxxxxxxxxxx wro=
te:=20
=20
or is Barrelhouse Solly your name?

 Any way, I appreciate your correction and yes, I bear it. I should have=20
known it=20
better that the solder doesn=B4t form an alloy with the reed brass because I=
=20
studied=20
some semesters chemistry in my early years. An alloy is a mixture of 2 or=20
more=20
components combined in a melting process, absolutely. Nevertheless, though 7=
2=20

by the time I do know Alzheimers first name up to now and am very sure to=20
have=20
read the term "alloy" somewhere.

Then Bobbie gave a hint in order to=20

> protect surfaces from getting too hot and avoid getting solder in the=20
reedslot >=20
in using the Rennaisance valve material which is a micropore layer from=20
DuPont=20
if I remember right.=20

Of course, I found my own way to abduct the soldering heat. A razor blade=20
protects=20
the slot against unintended solder in the slot and is simultaneously a good=20
heat=20
conductor. An alternative heat conductor is a pin.

To remove the reed before soldering as one harp friend advised I consider a=20
work=20
nobody else as Harpie is qualified for.

Siegfried Naruhn =20

(just to mention my correct identy)