Re: Leo Shi Bass

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Pat Missin" <pat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2004 7:45 AM
Subject: RE: Leo Shi Bass

> Scorcher asked:
> >
> >>Pat, would it be feasable to add the second reed plate to the bottom of
this
> >>harmonica (convert it from a single)?
>
> ... and I replied:
>
> >Not really. At least not if you are talking about having both sets of
> >reeds played by the same mouthpiece. The comb is closed at the bottom,
> >so you would have to do some fairly drastic alteration to add a second
> >reedplate to it.
>
> Actually, I think maybe I spoke a little too quickly on that topic.
> Looking at it a bit more closely, perhaps it isn't quite as difficult
> as I thought.
>
> I think you could cut the bottom out of each channel in the comb
> without too much work. You could then take the reedplate from a second
> instrument and add it to the bottom - this would reverse the reeds
> with regard to the airflow, turning blow reeds into draw reeds and
> vice versa, giving you a blow and a draw reed of the same pitch in
> each hole. You could then retune alternate reeds on each reedplate so
> that you have the C major scale as blow notes and the C# major scale
> as draw notes (or the other way around, if you prefer). Then you would
> probably need to add valves. At the end of it, you would have a
> compact-sized 2 1/2 octave chromatic bass for a little over $100 and a
> few hours work.
>
> An interesting idea, but I must admit that I kind of like the Leo Shi
> the way it is.

Thanks for the clarification.
For sure, it sounds like a fun instrument to play as-is.

I have a diatonic all-blow octave-bass now, and have not been happy with
it's limitations, so
the idea seemed worthy of consideration at first - I just wasn't sure how
useful it would be.
As to the "few hours" work....(!) - maybe for someone of your skills, but
your description
(which seems quite accurate) has me thinking in terms of DAYS for my skills!
Thanks again,
- -Scorcher