Re: Like to learn

- --Apple-Mail-2--403048045

Took a quick look at Coast to Coast=20
http://coast2coastmusic.com/cgi-bin/cart and=20
http://www.harmonicalessons.com/ Have them both bookmarked.  Thanks. =20
Saving pennies is a good thing!  My daughter is heading off to an=20
out-of-state private college next fall.

I am in Amherst, New Hampshire.  30 min.  south of Manchester, 30 min. =20=

west of Nashua.  Thanks for the offer to tutor in Maine, but you=92re an=20=

hour and a half at best, and my schedule won=92t stretch that much.  I=92m=
=20
commuting 65 miles to work (nights), 60 miles for harp lessons and 50=20
miles for bassoon lessons each week ( all one way).  I really need=20
something much closer.  If I don=92t find someone sooner, maybe I=92ll =
hook=20
up with someone in Lowell this summer.

Music interest - Jazz, Swamp Blues, Folk, Pop, Classical.  I was going=20=

to post a list of artists, but it is 314 names.
I played clarinet for 4 years and then switched to Double Bass which I=20=

kept up with for 6.  Part of that was in a full orchestra and part in a=20=

jazz band.
We=92ve had the pleasure of listening to my daughter for 6 years, but=20
she=92s taking her harp with her when she leaves for college.  (47 =
string=20
Lyon and Healy concert grand) My son has also taken up music.  He plays=20=

a Fox 240 bassoon and is leaning toward classical, but still pulls out=20=

a little swamp blues once in a while.  He=92s playing first chair at=20
All-State this afternoon.

Until I started reading replies to my request, I didn=92t know there =
were=20
different kinds of harmonica.  I also see, on the Hohner web site,=20
there is an =93Octave Tuned=94, =93Tremolo=94, and =93Orchestral.=93 I =
guess those=20
are specialty units.
 =46rom what I=92ve gotten here, I guess I should start out with a =
Hohner=20
Special 20, Jerry Portnoy's Masterclass CD set and Jamey Aebersold's=20
Jazz Handbook.  (Lee Oskar=92s Major Diatonic?  Golden Melody? =20
Chrometta?) My taste does lean more toward classical, so I guess a=20
chromatic is in my future?  Or would it be better to start off with=20
one?  I do prefer to pay a bit more for higher quality now than have to=20=

repurchase something later and have the first gather dust in a closet. =20=

I did, however, see a $1200 chromatic on Hohner=92s web site that I =
think=20
is a bit tooooo much.
If the CDs are confusing I=92ll look into some of the other=20
recommendations.  Not sure what a =93cave man thing=94 is, but a couple=20=

years ago I walked out on day 3 of a 5 day class I paid $850 for=20
because the instructor spent half of his time playing air guitar.  (It=20=

was a radiation safety class)

> ... Here's the basics (apologies if you already know some of this=20
> stuff).

No worries there, I don=92t know nuffin=92.  In fact, I couldn=92t =
answer=20
some of the questions above before I got to this post.

Another question; what is =93bending=94 and is it a good thing?  Reading=20=

some of the descriptions for the various harmonicas, I see that some of=20=

them are easier to =93bend=94 a note with.  On my son=92s bassoon it =
means he=20
can vary the pitch slightly with mouth/air pressure.  Same thing?

Shopping list:
Harmonica -
    Special 20?
    Lee Oskar=92s Major Diatonic?
    Golden Melody?
    Chrometta?
Jerry Portnoy's Masterclass CD set
Jamey Aebersold's Jazz Handbook.

Library/book store search:
David Harp's books

Web reading:
http://www.angelfire.com/tx/myquill/
http://www.angelfire.com/music/HarpOn/
www.coast2coastmusic.com=

- --Apple-Mail-2--403048045

<bigger>Took a quick look at Coast to Coast
<underline>http://coast2coastmusic.com/cgi-bin/cart</underline> and
<underline>http://www.harmonicalessons.com/</underline> Have them both
bookmarked.  Thanks.  Saving pennies is a good thing!  My daughter is
heading off to an out-of-state private college next fall. =20

I am in Amherst, New Hampshire.  30 min.  south of Manchester, 30 min.=20=

west of Nashua.  Thanks for the offer to tutor in Maine, but you=92re an
hour and a half at best, and my schedule won=92t stretch that much.  I=92m=

commuting 65 miles to work (nights), 60 miles for harp lessons and 50
miles for bassoon lessons each week ( all one way).  I really need
something much closer.  If I don=92t find someone sooner, maybe I=92ll
hook up with someone in Lowell this summer.

Music interest - Jazz, Swamp Blues, Folk, Pop, Classical.  I was going
to post a list of artists, but it is 314 names.

I played clarinet for 4 years and then switched to Double Bass which I
kept up with for 6.  Part of that was in a full orchestra and part in
a jazz band.

We=92ve had the pleasure of listening to my daughter for 6 years, but
she=92s taking her harp with her when she leaves for college.  (47
string Lyon and Healy concert grand) My son has also taken up music.=20
He plays a Fox 240 bassoon and is leaning toward classical, but still
pulls out a little swamp blues once in a while.  He=92s playing first
chair at All-State this afternoon.

Until I started reading replies to my request, I didn=92t know there
were different kinds of harmonica.  I also see, on the Hohner web
site, there is an =93Octave Tuned=94, =93Tremolo=94, and =93Orchestral.=93=
 I guess
those are specialty units.

=46rom what I=92ve gotten here, I guess I should start out with a Hohner
Special 20, Jerry Portnoy's Masterclass CD set and Jamey Aebersold's
Jazz Handbook.  (Lee Oskar=92s Major Diatonic?  Golden Melody?=20
Chrometta?) My taste does lean more toward classical, so I guess a
chromatic is in my future?  Or would it be better to start off with
one?  I do prefer to pay a bit more for higher quality now than have
to repurchase something later and have the first gather dust in a
closet.  I did, however, see a $1200 chromatic on Hohner=92s web site
that I think is a bit tooooo much.

If the CDs are confusing I=92ll look into some of the other
recommendations.  Not sure what a =93cave man thing=94 is, but a couple
years ago I walked out on day 3 of a 5 day class I paid $850 for
because the instructor spent half of his time playing air guitar.  (It
was a radiation safety class)=20

(apologies if you already know some of this stuff).

</color>No worries there, I don=92t know nuffin=92.  In fact, I couldn=92t=

answer some of the questions above before I got to this post.

Another question; what is =93bending=94 and is it a good thing?  Reading
some of the descriptions for the various harmonicas, I see that some
of them are easier to =93bend=94 a note with.  On my son=92s bassoon it
means he can vary the pitch slightly with mouth/air pressure.  Same
thing?

Shopping list:

Harmonica -

   Special 20?