Re: Like to learn

Ballou Family says:

> From what I?ve gotten here, I guess I should start out with Jerry
Portnoy's Masterclass CD set

For Blues, yes

> and Jamey Aebersold's Jazz Handbook.

For a GENERALIZED (non-instrument-specific) approach to Jazz, yes,

> (Special 20, Lee Oskar?s Major Diatonic? Golden Melody?

Keep this fact in mind: Diatonic harmonicas are a commodity item. they wear
out, you throw them away (except $100.00+ customs) and most people own AT
LEAST 20-30 of them, after they've been playing a while)

>Chrometta?)

>My taste does lean more toward classical, so I guess a chromatic is in my
future? Or would it be
> better to start off with one? I do prefer to pay a bit more for higher
quality now than have to
> repurchase something later and have the first gather dust in a closet. I
did, however, see a $1200
> chromatic on Hohner?s web site that I think is a bit tooooo much.

I'm going to reverse myself on this advice. Read & re-read what G has to say
about buying Chromatic harmonicas (on the Harp-On! page), and decide on a
semi-custom, or (at least) high-end "stock" Harmonica. The Chrometta is
neither. I recommend a good quality harmonica (Like a Hohner Super 64) with
16 holes (at least 14) for classical music - but as I said before, that's
only ONE opinion. MANY players prefer 14- or 12-holers.

I will say that $1,200.00 for a high-end Chromatic is NOT out of line - IF
it's really "top of the line".
NO STOCK manufacturer's product rates that, however.

The Renaissance Costs FAR more than that, and is worth EVERY CENT. There is
no finer harmonica in the world and it's "only" a 12-holer.

I also suggest you "pick a genre". If you are moved by Classical, I
recommend to pursue that first. It'll keep you motivated and practicing. If
you can't stay away from The Blues, (or Jazz), then play that.

Blues is most accessible on Diatonic
Classical is most accessible on Chromatic
Jazz is accessible on either, BUT

Diatonic harmonica requires ~advanced~ levels of technique and musicianship
JUST TO HIT ALL THE NOTES, let alone play them "well". Chromatics have all
the notes built right in. This is an over-generalization, but one that is
pretty accurate for most beginners.

> Another question; what is ?bending? and is it a good thing? Reading some
of the descriptions for the
> various harmonicas, I see that some of them are easier to ?bend? a note
with. On my son?s bassoon
> it means he can vary the pitch slightly with mouth/air pressure. Same
thing?

Sort of. Playing blues (or nearly anything, for that matter) on the diatonic
REQUIRES some bending. Some notes on the diatonic allow / require 3
HALF-STEPS worth of bending just to play the note.
A single diatonic is not designed to play all the notes in every scale in
every key. You have to work for them, bend them, finnesse them....Then
there's "overblows" (one of those advanced techniques I was referring to).

I'm gonna pare down your shopping list (again, just an opinion)

BLUES:
> Special 20
> Jerry Portnoy's Masterclass CD set

Web resources
http://www.angelfire.com/tx/myquill/
(The best free source of information on playing diatonic harmonicas)

JAZZ:
Jamey Aebersold's Jazz Handbook.
(non-instrument-specific musical theory & learning tools)
web resources
http://www.tenhole.com/ Tinus' website devoted to "chromaticity" on the
diatonic (advanced techniques)

CLASSICAL:
a GOOD Chromatic harmonica
Richard Martin's books from Coast 2 Coast www.coast2coastmusic.com
(My personal favorite store ANYWHERE for all things harmonica)

Blackie Shackner's books from F&R Farrell www.frfarrell.com
(Another GREAT mail-order resource - ask them to send you a catalogue)
Also a source of GOOD QUALITY lifetime comb chromatic harmonicas based on
Hohner's venerable 270 series 12-holer

The best free source of information on playing chromatic harmonica:
http://www.angelfire.com/music/HarpOn/