Re: bopalula

There's been a lot of discussion recently on this list about Little
Walter and bebop.  Current consensus seems to be that Walter used bebop
"phrasing" but did not play bebop "phrases".

I personally don't hear bebop in Walter at all.  I think that all
Walter's jazz-influenced phrasing -- and some of his phrases -- can be
explained by reference to jump blues players like Illinois Jacquet and
swing players like Lester Young.

Can anyone on this thread supply specific phrase references on specific
songs that show the influence of bebop on Walter's phrasing?  Having
those references would be a start towards investigating the presence or
absence of prior or parallel swing and jump blues sources.

Also, did anyone ever ask Walter whether he listened to Parker,
Gillespie, etc., and was the answer recorded anywhere?

I hope everyone understands that by expressing this opinion and asking
these questions I DO NOT mean to imply that anyone who holds a different
opinion is a knave or a fool.  I'm just trying to figure out what
specific evidence is available to resolve the issue one way or the
other.

Thanks, Richard Hunter
www.hunterharp.com