Little Walter/Be-Bop

The only specific reference that I've seen in print RE Little Walter and
be-bop--or jazz in general--can be found in Tony Glover's biography of him.  At
one point, one of his part-time sub drummers--I think it's Sam Lay,
actually--describes just how much was left OUT of Walter's recorded legacy by the Chess
Brothers, who preferred to keep milking the Juke money-cow...He talks about
hour-long jams on Lester Leaps In and other Young masterpieces--always played at
Walter's insistence--that would, if heard now, expand our whole vision of
Walter's genius.  According to this account, part of Walter's growing disaffection
with Chess, and creative frustration in general, resulted from this refusal to
let him cut any jazz...and, of course, the mind reels at the thought of what
may have been denied us...

Johnny T
Mayfield Road Gang