Re: Little Walter/Be-Bop

Johnny,

Very interesting stuff indeed! You can really here
Walter's swing and jazzy phrasing in his blues
numbers, but just think how would have ripped up
some of those awesome jazz heads.

Boggles the mind with imagined possiblities.

Thanks!

Harpin' in Colorado,
- --Ken

P.S. And thanks so much for backing this assertion
up with your quote from Tony Glover's book. Very
cool, man! Swing On!

- --- Aeskow@xxxxxxx wrote:
> The only specific reference that I've seen in
> print RE Little Walter and
> be-bop--or jazz in general--can be found in Tony
> Glover's biography of him.  At
> one point, one of his part-time sub drummers--I
> think it's Sam Lay,
> actually--describes just how much was left OUT of
> Walter's recorded legacy by the Chess
> Brothers, who preferred to keep milking the Juke
> money-cow...He talks about
> hour-long jams on Lester Leaps In and other Young
> masterpieces--always played at
> Walter's insistence--that would, if heard now,
> expand our whole vision of
> Walter's genius.  According to this account, part
> of Walter's growing disaffection
> with Chess, and creative frustration in general,
> resulted from this refusal to
> let him cut any jazz...and, of course, the mind
> reels at the thought of what
> may have been denied us...
>
> Johnny T
> Mayfield Road Gang

=====
"When you speak of Walter Horton, the first thing you think of is his tone, that big, fat tone."
- ---Li'l Ronnie Owens