Re: CX12 tight slide action

Hi Ric,

your CX 12 problem is just right for me because I know every detail of this=20
chrom.
Look at the harp-L archives and find my "CX 12 story" (5 parts) I wrote in=20
1997.

Now let=B4s see what I can do for you. Surely, it would be best I had the CX=
 on=20
my=20
table but I live in Germany.

At first, when you remove the spring or tension band you have to press down=20
BOTH ends until one band end comes free. The band is frankly said a=20
misconstruction because of the sharp rectangular edges at the ends.=20
Otherwise,=20
you risk the damage of the cover slots and then the cover of ABS plastic is=20
obsolete in toto, it can=B4t be repaired.

BTW, the CX 12 have some weak points, but I didn=B4t hear of your problem up=
 to=20
now.

Any way, at first check the slide whether it is absolutely straight which is=
=20
likely =20
the fact. Normally, the curved spring band is adjusted to the body when the=20
4 stickers at the sides are engaged. Because you said:

< The action improves when I remove the spring backplate....> ,

it seems that the slide moves correctly within the mpc guide and the spring
band is the bad guy. So, there=B4s nothing else as to work the band..=20

When I modified my CX 12 exemplars (they all got a brass shell) I provided=20
also a=20
wave at the band for the purpose that the band contacts the body at two=20
points. The=20
band pressure is then spread over the whole length of the body.

When I made these waves, I noticed that it is possible to rebend the band of=
=20
HARDENED STEEL. But when you simply stick the band in a vise, you will=20
see that it won=B4t work because the band is elastic.=20

Don=B4t use a pliers to rebend the band ends, it could break. Instead of tak=
e=20
3 pieces of iron or any other hard material, two of them thicker than the=20
third one. The two thicker pieces are placed at the ends of the vise jaw and=
=20
the=20
thin one in the center just opposite to the curved band center.=20

Now, cautiously tighten the vise while constantly checking whether the band=20
has=20
stretched.

However, if you consider this procedure too cumbersome, send the chromatic t=
Rick Epping, the technical manager of Hohner/Richmond. He sure will help you=
.

Good luck and keep on CXin

Siegfried Naruhn                  =20

PS. How the spring band has to be modified concerning the ends=20
      is another story. =20