Re: 2 Brief, Friendly Notes

In a message dated 4/7/04 9:19:26 AM Pacific Daylight Time, leone@xxxxxxxx
writes:

> On Apr 7, 2004, at 3:34 AM, Aeskow@xxxxxxx wrote:
>
> >I wanted to say that I was really fascinated by your historical
> >overview of these lists--they're a kind of Town Hall meeting, utopian
> >commune, and last refuge for scoundrels, all in one, aren't they?  You
> >write eloquently about it, and I think it'd really be of interest as a
> >piece of writing.

 > The second point is more personal.  I talked about other people >
> >saying ugly things.  I should never have excluded myself from that
> >group.
> >
> > Best,
> > John
> > ,
>
>  Dear Johnny, who is this message directed at? Btw, YOU write more
> eloquently than anyone. :)
> smo-joe

Dear Smo-Joe,

      1.) The note's appearance on-list was just one more bit of proof that
I'm a moron at using this whole system--it was meant to be off-list--so the
intended recipient doesn't really matter.  I was kind of horrified to see it pop
up as a Message to the World, to quote the Isley Brothers, but now I'm glad it
did, because--

      2.) The list-members who I've alienated--some to the point of writing
me notes off-line so vicious that they'd be considered illegal threats and
harassment if not for the security the "usenet" provides--might as well know that
I don't hold myself, or my opinions on anything from freedom of speech to the
cover-screws on Hering Vintage 1923 harps, to be any more "correct" or
"important" than anyone else's.  And that I try to double-check myself for spiritual
"ugliness" (and often find it.)

      So, even though I'm grateful for your compliment, I wish my "eloquence"
hadn't been so polarizing.  I only meant to discuss my love for the harp--for
playing it, for studying it, for the forefathers of the many styles played by
members of this list, etc.  And despite the odd death threat or two, which
are laughable, it's really been a fascinating ride--reading Pat Missin on the
social history of just intonation, or Winslow Yerxa on the patent history of the
XB-40; scribbling down the name of some long-forgotten player that a
list-member suddenly rediscovered; the recent thread about high-end playing; Vern's
generosity of spirit in helping me fix a screwing problem (so to speak) on the
1923 via long distance...This group contains such a wealth of diverse men and
women that I wish it was possible to throw in some thoughts in good faith
without having to brace for incoming fire every time.
      Thanks for the kind words.  I'll be reading yours with a lot of
interest.

Peace and respect,
Johnny T
Mayfield Road Gang