Re: Les Thompson & Toots CD

I recently announced a new webpage for my friend, Les, but possibly some
of the Harp-l-er's missed it. Check it out at:
http://www.bassharp.com/lesthomp.htm

Some are obviously aware of Les' early 10" LP album recorded in the Gene
Norman Presents series at the the Pasadena Civic Auditorium for RCA
Victor LPN-3102, on February 2, 1952, while unaware of the later 12" LP
album for Jazz Chronicles, recorded in October 1972 and July 1973. And
vice versa. Check the info on both of these albums on the above
mentioned website, and note the giants of jazz who were proud to accept
Les as the giant he was. He also recorded a live show in New York with
Chet Baker, but I have never been able to locate a copy of the album.

I am so happy that his earlier album is released together with Toots -
what a landmark that is! I recently spoke with Les again, and obtained
his permission to clean up the old LPs as much as possible and release
them on CD. I am in the process of doing so, but I could never hope to
get the results that the studio would get for the Les/Toots album. I
have ordered two copies, one for Les and one for myself, and can't wait
to get his copy to him.

Les is tickled that anyone would remember, and would want to have copies
of his music. I will continue to work on the more recent release, and
let everyone know when it will be available.

He was reported to have lived in Palm Springs, but in reality he lived
in San Pedro for many years before moving to Hollywood. Then after he
lost his wife, Nell, he retired and moved to Washington to be with his
daughter and grandson.

Currently he lives in the Seattle area in a retirement building, and
enjoys playing for his fellow residents in their community room. He
still plays everyday, and loving it. I talk with him every two to three
weeks, and will relay greetings to him from anyone who wishes to send them.

The office staff in his building invited him to come to the office, and
brought up his website on their computer. They were as amazed to read
about him, as he was to see the site!

Let him know you remember, or even if you have recently discovered his
work - he would be so pleased. I will print out the emails and send them
to him.

Warms my heart just to let everyone know!

Danny
- --
Danny Wilson - Santa Clarita, CA
BassHarp: http://www.bassharp.com