Re: Fwd: more on civil war harps

<quote>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 21:56:55 -0000
From: "Winslow Yerxa" <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Fwd:  more on civil war harps

- - --- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, rainbowjimmy@xxxx wrote:

>So chances are, there weren't a lot of Civil War harmonicas, they
>were mostly played by German immigrants, and they were most likely
>Hohner harmonicas.

Again, Hohner propoganda. We don't know the extent to which either
domestic or foreign manufacturers were actively makreting product in
the U.S. at the time .That includes Hohner, for whom the only
evidence is their unsupported claims.

It may be true, but we can't accept that it is just because they have
said so for nearly 100 years and others have uncritically repeated
their claims.

Winslow
</quote>

Quite.  Although on Isabella Krapf's Vintage Harmonica Edition's site
http://www.vintage-harmonica-editions.com
she writes Seydel have been in business before Hohner, from 1847, 10 years
before Hohner:
http://www.vintage-harmonica-editions.com/seydelManu.htm
Seydel's German site is here
http://www.c-a-seydel.com/
BTW They're offering any altered tuning for their diatonic harmonicas for a
flat fee.

G.