Re: The Boogie

> Maybe I'm off on this but there were a lot of pounding left hands rolling
on
> the keys to "boogie", by anyone's definition, before Hook. In my neck of
the
> woods Albert Ammons, Big Maceo, Tampa Red, Jimmy Yancy, etc. come to mind
> And I'm sure Cripple Clarence Lofton and Cow Cow Davenport might have have
> had an opinion on it too.
>
> .......and then there's New Orleans.......

Well, I'm not familiar with the names you've cited, but AFAIK, all the Piano
stylists called it "Boogie-Woogie". It's a distincly different rhythm &
chord structure than JLH's "Boogie", characterized by the strong back beat -
like a shuffle, but different, accented by the bass strings of the Guitar (I
can't think of a single "Boogie" I've heard performed on Piano).

Shuffle:
ONE - and TWO - and THREE - and FOUR...

Boogie:
ANDone  -  ANDtwo  -  ANDthree  -  ANDfour...

If I wasn't musically illitterate, I 'spose I could WRITE it.
- -Scorcher