Mitch Weiss' Harps (was Moanin)

- --- Martin Oldsberg <martinoldsberg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> What kind of a harp is it that Mitch uses? For a
> chromatic it sounds pretty diatonic at times ...
>
> Martin

Hi Martin,

You have a good ear!

I believe Mitch uses a highly customized Hohner
CX-12 that has been cut down to 10-holes and given
a Richter tuning by none other than Brendan Power.
See here for details:
http://www.brendan-power.com/

What that means is that Mitch is using a harp
that's basically tuned as a regular 10-hole
diatonic, but when he pushes the button he has
access to another diatonic that's raised a
half-step -- like having a C and C# diatonic harp
on one instrument. The harp is half-valved so he
still gets those deep dual-reed bends.

This is a similar setup to the Hohner Slide Harp
and Hohner Koch harps, but MUCH more responsive.
Also, I think Mitch's custom tuning is slightly
different than the standard Richter but I couldn't
tell you exactly how. Maybe he'll see this and
clarify for us.

Mitch tells me he loves that gutsy blues sound, but
with his rig he also has access to all the jazz
turns he envisions. I don't know anyone else who
plays that type of harp better.

Harpin' in Colorado,
- --Ken M.

P.S. I own a Slide Harp and Mitch has tried to
teach me to play it like he does... but I soon gave
up. It ain't easy!

=====
"When you speak of Walter Horton, the first thing you think of is his tone, that big, fat tone."
- ---Li'l Ronnie Owens