RE: Can't get enough of Stevie

He plays an astounding solo, and does an equal job of singing, on the
traditional gospel tune called "Too Close" (i.e. "I'm too close/to heaven/and I can't
turn around"). It's on a CD by The Williams Brothers, who are themselves
just...well, "killer" and "monster" seem inappropriate in speaking of a gospel
quartet...but they're the best soul vocalists in America.  I know he's played and
sung with a few other gospel bands but can't think of 'em this early in the
west coast day.  Considering how the pop market kicked the wheels out from
under Stevie's career, it's striking how easily his stuff fits into the grooves of
modern gospel, which is all we have left, sadly, of the authentic Southern
brand of "deep soul..." which is another entire genre that screams out for
harp...Mitch, I got another request: any Otis Redding ballad, esp. "The Glory of
Love," "Chained and Bound"--no, wait, I do that one--"Cigarettes and Coffee..."
Flip through your old LPs, you know you've still got 'em...More harp-treasure
to be mined in those grooves.

Johnny T

Johnny T