RE: middle eastern scales?

Djivan's music does not really revolve around scales.  If you want a
full understanding of his sound and much of the sound found in
Northern Africa, Near East and Middle East then you need to study
Melakartas and Hindustani Rags.  For now it may be easier to get
started with some scales and following will get you started "in that
sound" but if you want a full understand of Djivan's music then you
need to study Hindustani Rags. Rags should be thought of as precise
melody forms rather than scales.

Much of my sound comes from listening to Djivan Gasparyan.  I love
the sound of the duduk.  If you want to approximate the sound then
play everything in 7,8 and 9th positions. I often practice these
scales the mentioned position.

Double Harmonic Minor - C D Eb F# G Ab B
Double Harmonic Major - C Db E F G Ab B
Melodic Minor Scale- C D Eb F G A B
Harmonic Major Scale - C D E F G Ab B
Armenian Minor Scale - C Db E Fbb G Ab Bb
African Minor Scale - C Db E F G Ab Bb

Some of his more common Rags are:

Basanti Hindol:
C C F F E G# A C ascending
C Db B Ab G E F Db C Descending

Jog Bhairavi:
C D Eb F G Ab C Ascending
C Bb Ab G D C Descending

Landkadahan Sarand
G Bb C D Db D F G B C Ascending
C Bb G Eb F D C Descending

Piloo
C D Eb F G Ab G Bb A G C Ascending
C Bb A G F Eb B C

My friend Ashu has wonderful indian music primier on his website.
Though it pertains to Carnatic music it is none the less a very good
introduction into the world of "exotic" music

http://www.khazana.com/et/music/INMURES.asp?mscsstcid=&mscssid=WC9J45V
1GCLL9GUX4P70S65EULAHDJQB

Khazana is also the best resource for indian music in the united
states.