Some April NY harp events reviewed

The "Harpin Help" benefit for the NY/NJ Food Banks 4/25/04 was a =
success.

I'd like to thanx all the NY metro area Harpers for showing their =
continued support for this yearly event. It's sponsored by The Jersey =
Shore Blues & Jazz Society and coordinated by the very talented & =
extremely hard working Sandy Mack (Harp-Vocalist).

I was able to catch Kenny Sorenson and Ryan Hartt both terrific players, =
Kenny played an Acoustic set out on the deck and Ryan had his jump blues =
band and they had everyone "groovin". Ryan played some excellent =
Diatonic and Chromatic Harmonica. Sorensen (aka) Stringbean plays =
Diatonic and has a few of his own CD's out.

I missed Annie Raines with Paul Rishell and Wade Schuman's "Hazmat =
Modine" that features Wade & Randy Weinstein, both very ecclectic and =
talented players. I would have REALLY loved to catch these two sets and =
to sit in with Wade to blow on=20
"Broke my Baby's Heart", by I had to get Howard back to the airport. Oh =
well, maybe next time.

I'm sure there were alot more I missed throughout the day, Like Sandy =
Mack's band with Kent Miller & Sandy on Harp.

I didn't play this year, but I was featured on Vocals on three songs as =
a special guest with Howard Levy's set. Howard played 12 Jazz Standards =
in 12 different keys all on one "A"
diatonic. I don't remember all the tunes and what keys, but he kept all =
the standards in their "typical" keys. I came up to accompany him =
singing on the following tunes:
Georgia (F), There will Never be Another You (Eb), and Jelly,Jelly Blues =
(C)
some of the other songs he played were, "Body n' Soul" (Db), Manha de =
Carnivale" (A)......This was truly an amazing set to see each KEY and =
EACH tune handled with such expertise and conviction on ONE (A) Diatonic =
harmonica !!!

Thanx to Hohner for donating some nice raffle prizes to an event that =
feeds hungry families in our area, and thanx again to Sandy Mack for his =
commitent and diligence in making this run so smoothly.

I also had the pleasure to attend a show last Thursday Nite at "TONIC" =
in the "lower eastside of NYC featuring the "Molinaro-Levy" project.=20

The performance started out kind of "shakey" as Molinaro's sustain pedal =
gave out on the first piece, luckily harper/pianist Harris Simon was in =
attendance and spend a good ten minutes on his back under the Piano =
trying to fix it, (he did!!!) Howard played solo while all this was =
going on to keep the "flow" going and the rest of the set was brilliant. =
The two players have wonderful arrangements of some Gerhwin Classics, a =
cool version of Miles' "All Blues" and they ended their with a very =
different and burning version of "Rhythm Changes" on the original song =
"Sketchy".

Peace & Love=20
Rob Paparozzi