question for recording buffs

My band is doing some recording withour 16 track Fostex VF 160 recorder. =
 I got a great harp tone using a Shure 58 in front of my amp.  we then =
switched to a condendensor mic, and a SM 57, and could'nt recapture the =
sound.  I'm going back to the 58, but am not sure if it was a fluke.  we =
also have a Shure kick drum mic to try.  Any thoughts?  The tone I got =
was almost like a muted trumpet tone.  Great for swing tunes.  the other =
tunes don't have that bite.  You can write me off line, as not to waste =
other's time.  thanks.  bullfrog