Re: question for recording buffs

I agree with the idea "if it sounds right, then it is right" for recording.
A high dollar microphone does not necessarily make things sound better.  In
fact, many times a nice studio condenser mic will have too much clarity and
response for the intended result.  The Shure SM57 and 58 are workhorse mics that
are consistent and predictable.  Chances are that the condenser mic on your amp
picked up too much high frequency making the amp lose some body to the sound.
 The 57 and 58 do not capture extreme highs and thus "warm" the sound of amps.
I was told by someone of recording knowledge that Tom Petty sings his lead
vocals through a SM57 since it fits his voice perfectly.  So, when you hear Tom
crroning, chances are it is a $80 mic.  Of course, it is running through a
million dollars worth of audio gear!

In a message dated 4/26/2004 2:07:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time,